Friday, October 7, 2011

Marathon Time

The hotel was a a maze, literally.  Up a ramp, up a stopped escalator, down a moving escalator, down another escalator, around the corner, down a long, steep ramp and all the way to the end and there it was, the table where I picked up my race number for Sunday.  I know, I've been saying that the marathon was like going to school, something that I was excited about but also really nervous.  Today, I felt like the new kid at school.  I must have looked like it, too, 'cause a lot of people took one look at me, sympathetically nodded their heads and asked, "First marathon?"

I didn't linger at the Sports Health Expo where I picked up my number and shirt.  It felt too crazy, too intense.  I've been to the Health Expo during Race for the Cure weekend (where an entire convention hall is doused in Pepto-Bismol and Cadillac pink), I've been to bridal shows, and neither of them felt as intense as the Running Expo.  And, believe me, bridal shows can be intense.  I blame part of the added intensity on the location, trapped in the bowels of the Hilton.  The ceiling felt so close and I don't usually get claustrophobic.  Of course, the shortness of breath could be the general nervousness I've been feeling for the last week.

There's nothing more I can do to prepare.  I had my last long run two weeks ago and then promptly tapered as I should.  My last long run wasn't as long as I wanted and felt harder than anything I had done before.  It was shoe-horned in between church and bell rehearsal.  I was not prepared mentally for that run.

I had my last run yesterday, a short 2.5 miles made a little bit longer by the Occupy Portland protest.  They were blocking my regular route so I detoured slightly.  I was just going to run on the other side of the street but that would have involved running past a line of cops and that just seemed disrespectful for some reason.  So, I ran up another block and cut over.  No big deal.

After leaving the hotel today, which was quite a feat of navigation (for a few minutes, I was going in circles in the Hilton's grand ballroom trying to find the exit), I quickly headed off to finish my last minute marathon errands.  To the running store to get my GU (energy gel) for the race and something to carry it in.  Since water is provided on the course, I don't want to run with a water belt but I need something to carry my GU.  By the way, energy gel isn't as gross as you would think it would be, but it's certainly not something you really want to eat for fun.  Eating doesn't feel like the right word since you can't chew it.  Besides, it just sounds funny to say "I ate GU."  Go ahead, try saying it.  Doesn't feel right, does it?  Drinking doesn't sound right either, especially since it is much more viscous than water.  It's a mystery.

I'm now in my final carb-loading and hydration phase.  Tomorrow will be spent prepping for the marathon, packing and delivering my post-race bag to the gym so I can shower afterwards and proceed to church for our new pastor's installation service and bell choir rehearsal.  There is actually some method to my madness.  Better to be standing, moving, doing stuff than crashing on the couch for 6 hours and then crawling down to bed.  Or, at least, that's what I've been telling myself.

On the other hand, I could just be crazy, a glutton for punishment, and unable to admit I can't do everything.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

How did the marathon end up going? I ran 2 half marathons in Sept, but I don´t think I am going to go in for the full. Congrats!