Sunday, August 4, 2013

Never Say Never

A friend pointed out recently that never and I don't get along well. This is something I have noticed as well. Never likes to bide it's time and just when I get complacent, spring out at me and "Ha, ha! and you thought you would never...." Here are some examples:

Mt. Fuji
When I was in high school, I swore I would never be an athlete. Yet, while in college, I accidentally signed up for the novice crew team, found that I actually loved rowing, and ended up a varsity athlete for three years.

When I was fifteen, I climbed Mt. Fuji (for the second time; yes, I'm aware that makes me a fool). When I came down off that mountain, I swore never again. A decade and a half later, I want to climb the mountain again. Go figure.

I told my parents I would never get a tattoo. I now have four.

My first marathon bib and shoes
Right after I graduated from college, I swore I would never run a marathon or even a half. My crew coach had suggested I take up running if I couldn't join a rowing club. While I did run a little bit at the time (usually only a couple of miles at a time), I didn't particularly enjoy it then. I think I outright laughed in her face when she suggested a marathon. Ten years later, I've run a full marathon and a half-marathon (I ran the half today, actually) and three Hood-to-Coasts and I'm training for two more marathons.

I thought I would never travel alone. I was scared to travel alone as a woman. But I realized that I was running out of traveling companions and I wasn't willing to sit at home anymore. So I went to London and I'm planning my next trip, which leads me to my next example.

Me, along the Thames
I though I would never go on a cruise. And, while I'm not ruling it out, I'm not terribly interested in a cruise to Mexico or around the Caribbean. Alaska, now that's a different story. I'm going on my first cruise in about a month, along the Inside Passage. There will be other firsts on that trip as well. A helicopter flight, a ride on a dog sled, ziplining, kayaking. I'm getting so excited, I want it to be September NOW.

So, as you can see, never and I don't get along. I swear never to do something and I do it. I think something will never happen and it happens.

I'm fairly confident that I will never skydive or bungee jump (I'm not afraid of heights, just falling from them) but, knowing my luck with never, I'll end up in a small airplane, one that has lost power and the only way to survive is by diving from the plane. Or I'll have to bungee jump off something... nope, can't think of a legitimate reason to bungee jump.

Never say never...

No comments: