Friday, August 5, 2011

Stuck on the Sleeves

In November, I will be traveling to London.  Whenever I plan a trip, I plan what I will wear with great detail.  I want to look chic (ok, I want to look fabulous) and I don't want to look like a typical American tourist, so definitely no trainers.  I've been working on my Brit vocabulary and slang, can you tell?

When I went to Italy, I took several things that I had sewn, a couple of pairs of capri pants (how appropriate for Italy), a very light shrug for entering cathedrals (bare shoulders are not allowed), a halter, a sun dress and a truly fabulous silk chiffon skirt.  My trip to London will be no different; I plan to be dressed stylishly.  And, comfortably.

One of the things I'm working on is my Londinium sweater.  I have a sweater that I knit for my trip to Boston that I absolutely love but it is brown and I wanted something in a gray that I could wear with black, as   I'm also going to be sewing a new winter coat, a Vogue pattern, in a simply beautiful black and green DKNY wool with a little bit of sparkle.  Any sweater I make would need to match and fit under the coat.

Londinium - see the pretty cables?
I'm using the Rosamund's Cardigan pattern, by Andrea Pomerantz, with a few alterations.  I'd rather not use hook and eyes on knits and I don't really care for how the sweater opens at the bottom without the hooks and eyes so I added some more buttonholes for a total of six buttonholes.  I've been using Shepherd's Wool by Stonehedge Fiber Mill which is a wonderful merino, with great stitch definition.  I think this is my new favorite yarn.  It's so soft and I just want to buy several skeins and roll around in them.  And let me say, I do not often have hedonistic thoughts about yarn.

Back to the sweater.  Since I will be wearing it in London, in November, where it will be really cold, I wanted longer sleeves as well so I decided to lengthen the cap sleeves.  That's actually where I am in the project, at the sleeves.  The body knit up like a dream and I really like the reversible cables, in fact, I plan on repeating the cables on the cuff.  But when I got to the sleeves, I didn't stop to figure out any of the math.  So, now I'm going to have to frog the sleeve I started and begin the sleeve again, once I've figured out the decreases.  If I start with 60 stitches and I want 3.5 repeats of the cables on the sleeves (56 stitches), I would only have to decrease 4 stitches but I want the sleeve to fit snugly.  I'll have to decrease to just before the wrist and then increase again before the cuff.

Until I get all that math figured out, the sweater will just have to wait.  Besides, I have a top-secret project that needs finishing and I bought some lovely yarn at Knit Purl's Month of Lace sale and I just got the coolest book on socks from the library and I really want to make some socks now and start the gloves I plan to take to London and ... Anyone know a cure for startitis?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Yeah! I love that cardi. I kinda wish I had made my sleeves a bit longer. Can still go back and change them I guess. Good luck!