Thursday, August 11, 2011

To Zip or Not To Zip?

Zipcar is in the middle of their Low-Car Diet event right now.  It's purpose is to raise awareness of how easy it can be to use cars less.  I've always wished I could sign up but I don't own a car.  I've never owned a car.  I do not plan on ever owning a car (well, maybe, someday, I'll get a MINI).  Public transit is my primary mode of vehicular transportation and I walk everywhere else.  Occasionally, I'll reserve a Zipcar if I'm travelling somewhere with limited transit options.  I was living the No-Car lifestyle long before Zipcar arrived.

Today, I filled out a survey for Zipcar.  I believe they were partnering with Portland's Department of Transportation to discover how Zipcar has affected people's transit and personal vehicle use.  I'm always happy to fill out a survey that could help increase the transit options in Portland.  As decent as Portland's transit system is, it could be so much better.

However, today, I found some of the questions to be flawed.  For example, one question asked if I had sold my car because of Zipcar.  I was only given the option to agree or disagree.  Since I didn't have a car to begin with, I started to disagree with that statement, but that didn't feel right and I didn't want to skew the results in the negative.  Instead, I skewed the results in the positive by agreeing that Zipcar had enabled me to sell my nonexistent car.  Similar questions asked if I walked more because of Zipcar, if I biked more because of Zipcar, if I rode the bus more because of Zipcar.  I "agreed" with all of them but the truth of the matter is, I've always walked, biked and ridden the bus to get where I need.  Zipcar did nothing to change that aspect of my life.  If anything, I've driven more because of Zipcar.  I've gone from No-Car to Low-Car.

Zipcar has certainly made my life easier but I still rely heavily on other modes of transportation.  My life is planned around public transit; I won't live somewhere without good transit options.  My daily commute on the bus is a generally relaxing time, during which I knit like mad.  I am also contemplating taking part in the Bike Commuter Challenge this year, although that would mean a significant decrease in knitting time.  And, due to monetary restraints, I've decided to bus instead of Zip this weekend to a birthday party in Oregon City.

So, Zipcar, I love you and you have changed my life marginally but I'll continue on my personal Low-Car Diet without you this weekend.

No comments: