Friday, March 9, 2012

Finishing Bath - Day 3, part 2

Bath was my "pillow" city, the place where I got my bearings as I adjusted to the time difference.  My long walk on the Skyline Path the day before meant I missed breakfast at the hotel.  Instead, I had breakfast at a lovely little cafe, tucked underneath the Pulteney Bridge, down the stairs I had explored my first night, and spent the rest of the day basking in the beauty of Bath and enjoying the excellent Fashion Museum.  I spent nearly as much time in the gift shop as I did in the museum, trying to restrain myself from buying the entire shop (I was good, I only bought two books).

The Assembly Rooms (current home of the Fashion Museum)
For a few minutes, while I poked my head in the Assembly Rooms above the Fashion Museum, I imagined ladies dressed in long white gowns (for white muslin was the thing in Jane's time) and men in evening dress, everything all politeness.  But it was too nice a day to stay indoors and I followed my feet back outside to wander some more.

For most of the day, I just wandered.  It was relaxing to have no plans, no schedule to keep, no work to do.  My autumn was a stressful one, filled with lots of things, constantly going from one thing to the next.  This was my chance to just be and I grabbed it with both hands.

The elegant facade of the Royal Circus...
 I ambled through the Circus and around the Royal Crescent.  The Royal Crescent makes me think of Jane Austen novels.  The Crescent was never mentioned in any of her novels, as near as I can tell, but the idea of them seems the epitome of a Jane Austen novel.  So elegant, genteel and refined on the face of it, with class and breeding on display.  All the while, what lies behind is cluttered, angles and rooms and walls going every which way.  Looking at the Crescent from behind, I was struck by how gossipy it looked, as if an elegant lady was hiding her giggles behind her hand or fan.

... the less elegant, but just as interesting, rear.
For the rest of my trip, I found myself fascinated with the "behind" as well as the "front".  Oh, as an aside, that was my one complaint with the Fashion Museum.  Too often, the aspect or detail of a garment that intrigued me was the part that was hidden from view.  I have to get back there and actually book a study table so I can really examine the beautiful garments they have.

Finally, I ended my day with tea at the Regency Tea Room.  Located above the Jane Austen Center, the tea room was the perfect ending to a lovely day.  A couple of scones, some rhubarb-ginger jam, a cup of tea and...



... Colin Firth.

No comments: